Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Welcome to the Family"

On Saturday, September 19, 2009, Bear Bait came in to my life. I went down to Harlingen, TX, to visit Richard for the weekend. We went out for breakfast Saturday morning. On our way back to Harlingen, Richard suggested that we stop at Harley-Davidson Roadrunner to "look around". While we were there, I was checking out the late model Harleys they had in stock. In speaking to David (Sales Rep), I mentioned that I had a bike (2008 Honda Rebel 250cc) but that eventually would like to upgrade. After some talking, and lots of persuasion, he convinced me to let him draw up some numbers using a "First Time Buyers" option. My credit passed and my payment were right where I would have liked them to be. After sitting on "Bear Bait" just one more time, I decided to sing the dotted line and inherit a new debt in my life. The sign behind David read, "No Motorcycle Remorse". As of today, none whatsoever!

Within an hour and a half, we had paperwork signed and my motorcycle was being prepped.

While the was being readied, Richard and I left to get me some pants and boots, as I hadn't planned to ride a motorcycle while on my weekend getaway. Then we headed back to H-D to pick up my motorcycle.

He was ready by the time I got there. After a couple of rounds in the back parking lot, I was ready to hit the road with my new HOG.

I headed back towards Richard's house. Not knowing the full power of my new Harley-Davidson FXDB 1584cc Street Bob, I gunned the throttle a little too fast while getting on the highway. It almost left me standing on the entrance ramp without a motorcycle. Luckily, it didn't.

That afternoon we took a short 10 miles trip to the town of Rio Hondo, TX. Richard on his 2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800 and me on BB. As we rode into the city, the dark clouds were beginning to form. While we sat in the Valero's parking lot, receiving weather alerts by the dozens on our phones, we contemplated heading back or sitting and having a bite to eat. The slowly approaching rain decided for us. We parked our motorcycles under the covered gas pumps and went inside for a bite to eat. The rain was not letting up and the clouds got darker, lightening, brighter and thunder, louder. After finishing up our tacos, we decided that it was best to brave the rain, suck up my fears of driving in the rain, and hit the road back to Harlingen. Those 10 miles of driving in pouring rain, on a brand spanking new Harley, with a half-helmet, no windshield, sporting new pants, long sleeve shirt, Harley-Davidson T-shirt, and new boots, going 30 mph, was one of my life's most memorable experiences.

Needless to say, we arrived home soaking wet. I took a warm shower and looked forward to Sunday when we'd be able to ride our motorcycles again.

No comments:

Post a Comment